The office was buzzing today as we prepared for the end of week deadlines. When I arrived everyone had at least one phone call on their hands to deal with, so I decided to follow suit and call back some of the leads that were unavailable yesterday. Afterwards I offered to help out Jane, who gave me a story idea that she was too busy to follow up, I gratefully accepted and made a start on it.
Minuets later there were a few NIBs (News in Brief) that needed writing up. However, I hadn't finished completing my first task! I felt a little concerned, and did a quickly calculated that the NIBs probably needed doing first, they were also shorter and so I estimated that I could probably round them up quickly providing I could gather the relevent details. Whilst I was weighing up each priority, Jane suggested that I put hers on the back-burner, confirming to me that my first instinct was right. This made me gather a little more confidence and momentum for the rest of the morning. I also learnt how to book staff photographers for picture stories, and organized an event in the photo diary.
For the rest of the day I continued to work on press releases, and tip-offs to the paper on stories in our 'patch'. Although I have previously found conducting interviews over the phone quite nerve-wracking I feel that I am beginning to feel a little more confident. Whilst writing up some of the stories I listened to Rebecca and Steve conducting their own telephone interviews, which reassured me that with a little more assertiveness I can develop my own interview techniques and skills.
I believe tomorrow I am headed out with one of the photographers on assignment. I am sure that I will enjoy the experience as it ties in nicely with my photography studies.
No comments:
Post a Comment