Wednesday, 23 May 2007

Finishing touches.

I spent today going over some of the articles I wrote earlier in the week ready for this Thursday's deadline. I also had a look at the 'style book' for the newspaper, and discussed livening up my links into quotes with Rebecca. I learnt that it is possible, and quite interesting for the reader to link to quotes using varied references to the interviewee, for instance their age, occupation, number of children etc.
I also wrote a few interesting stories about various charity events happening in the borough. It seems Ealing has number of very giving and caring residents. Two of the residents, friends from Hanwell, were organising a cook-off event in their local pub. I interviewed them over the telephone and booked a picture to be taken with our photographer.
I also wrote an interesting NIB about 3 local women all due to be ordained as priests in the borough, a historical local event for the church community.
Although there was no time left to go out on the patch with the photographers, I managed to watch them select and edit images for submission to this week's edition.
I learnt that it is important to balance the lighting levels in the images carefully for a print publication, as the printing process can over-darken the images. I also noted how little cropping was needed to finish off the images. This was due to the careful framing and preparation that Stan and Zute put into each image; It goes to show that a little thought and effort goes a long way to saving time during editing!

No comments: